Toronto Star 2013 POETRY Contest Rules and Regulations
1. Agreement: These rules govern the "Toronto Star 2013 Poetry" Contest (the “Contest”). No purchase is necessary to enter the Contest. The act of entering the Contest constitutes acceptance of these Contest rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and the Contest judges, which decisions shall be final and binding upon all entrants.
2. Sponsor: The Contest sponsor is the Toronto Star, a division of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited (the “Sponsor”).
3. Eligibility: The Contest is open to residents of Ontario who have attained the age of 18, except for employees or independent contractors, their immediate families and anyone living with any employee or associates of the Contest Sponsor or its respective corporate affiliates, advertising or promotional agencies.
4. Contest and Judging Criteria: Write a poem not longer than 300 words that corresponds or takes inspiration from one of the following eleven (11) categories:
1. Politics (National)
2. Profit (Business)
3. Score (Sports)
4. Transform (GTA)
5. Illuminate (Insight)
6. Explore (Travel)
7. Equality (Foreign)
8. Heart (Life)
9. Fame (Entertainment)
10. Home (New in Homes)
11. Speed (Wheels)
To enter the Contest, email your poetry submission and category, along with your first and last name, mailing address and daytime phone number to: email@example.com during the Contest period. The Contest Period begins at 6:00 a.m. ET on Tues., Sept. 26, 2013 and ends at 10:00am ET on Friday, October 18, 2013.
Entries will be judged by a panel of Toronto Star judges consisting of Toronto’s poet laureate George Elliott Clarke, Priscilla Uppal (called “Canada’s Coolest Poet”) and the Star’s poetry reviewer, Barbara Carey starting on or about October 28, 2013. From all entries, the judges will select eleven (11) potential winners based on the Judging Criteria outlined below. There will be one (1) potential winner chosen from each category.
Entries will be judged based upon the following two criteria, weighted equally: (1) creativity; (2) inspiration of the key word or concept in one of the categories as outlined in these official rules and in the Toronto Star newspaper during the Contest Period. In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest score on inspiration of the key word/concept will be selected. Upon completion of the judging, the eleven (11) entrants with the highest combined scores will be chosen as potential winners. The decisions of the contest judges are final in respect to any matter relating to this Contest. Odds of winning depend on the number and caliber of eligible entries received.
Each potential winner will be contacted by telephone and/or email at the number/email address provided in their email entry by a representative of the Sponsor during the week of November 4, and must reply within 24 hours from time of first contact to maintain eligibility. If a potential winner cannot be contacted within this time period or fails to respond to any attempted contact, such selected entrant will be disqualified, his/her entry will be declared null and void and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to select another eligible entry, in which event these provisions shall apply to such other eligible entry.
By entering this Contest you acknowledge that all entries become the property of the Contest Sponsor and will not be returned or acknowledged. To be eligible, an entry must be the entrant's original poem, may not have been entered in any other contest, won any other prize or have been previously published in any other medium. In connection with your submission, you affirm, represent and/or warrant that (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to use and authorize Sponsor to use all copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights in and to your submission to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the manner contemplated by these Contest rules; and (ii) you have the written consent, release and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the matter contemplated by these Contest rules. Sponsor reserves the right to reject and disqualify any submissions that could be offensive or inappropriate or that do not meet the terms and conditions of these rules.
In order to be eligible to win, each potential Winner must correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question, without assistance or mechanical or electronic aid.
5. Prizes: There are a total of eleven (11) Prizes available to be won. Each Prize consists of one (1) $100 gift certificate redeemable at any Chapters Indigo store across Ontario, plus the Prize winners will have their winning poem featured in the Toronto Star and/or thestar.com. The approximate value of each Prize is: $100.00 CDN.
Winners must come to One Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada to collect the prize won, unless otherwise specified by the Sponsor. If a winner does not claim the prize prior to 5:00 p.m. on November 22, 2013 the selected entrant will have no further claim to the prize. Sponsor will not mail or courier the prize and is not responsible for unclaimed prizes. Other restrictions may apply. If a winner is unable or unwilling to accept or otherwise redeem a prize on the terms it is awarded, the prize shall be forfeited and no cash or substitutes will be provided in whole or in part.
6. Release, Ownership, Copyright Assignment and waiver of Moral Rights: Prior to receiving the prize, each potential winner will be required to show valid photo ID and to sign a declaration of eligibility and release form releasing the Sponsor and its related parties from any and all liability in connection with the Contest and/or the prize, confirming compliance with the rules and consenting to the use of his or her name and poem, in all forms of media, without further compensation, in any publicity carried out by the Sponsors and/or its advertising and promotional agencies. Entrants retain the copyright to their poems. However, by entering the Contest, you hereby grant the Sponsor a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to print, publish, use, reproduce, copy, distribute, edit, modify, prepare derivative works of, and display each entry submitted, as well as your full name, photograph, image, comments and/or any underlying material in connection with each of their respective (and their respective successors and assigns') businesses, including without limitation in any media formats and through any media channels now existing or hereafter invented. Each entrant agrees to complete and sign all documents necessary to confirm the rights granted under these official rules. By entering this Contest, each entrant consents to the printing of his or her entry in the Toronto Star, and to the posting of his or her entry, including any related photo, and his/her name, likeness, image, and comments online, without any further notice, review, approval, consent or compensation. In addition, each entrant acknowledges and agrees that publishing a poem in print and posting a poem or comment online brings that poem or comment within public view, and the Sponsor will not be held liable for any copying, reproducing, re-posting, or unlawful use of any published or posted poem or comment, or any other injury, damage or loss to any entrant or any other person that may result. The signed form must be received by Sponsor prior to 5:00 p.m. November 22, 2013 or at time of ticket pick-up or the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate entrant.
7. Indemnity: By participating in this Contest, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor and the Prize Supplier, and each of their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related companies and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, advisors, assignees, agents, licensees, representatives, advertising, media buyers and promotional agencies from any and all damages, injuries, claims, causes of action, or losses of any kind (including but not limited to lawyers' fees) arising from your participation in the Contest or use of any prize; your violation of any term of these Contest rules; your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right; or any claim that your submission caused damage to a third party.
8. Privacy: We use your personal contact information to administer this Contest, including contacting, announcing and promoting prizewinners. In addition, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and from selected sponsors or advertisers (“Marketing Offers”). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by: following the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive, informing your telemarketer at the time you are called with a Marketing Offer, calling 1-800-279-0181 and requesting that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers. The Contest is run in compliance with the Sponsor’s privacy code, which may be found in full at http://www.thestar.com/privacy.
9. Banning: The Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, prohibit any person from entering the Contest whom it believes to be abusing the rules. Such abuse includes entering false information and entering more than once.
10. Other: Odds of winning depend on the number and caliber of eligible entries received. This Contest is governed by the laws of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein and is void where prohibited by law. The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest or the Contest rules at any time without notice. All prizes must be accepted as awarded, are non-transferable and are not convertible to cash. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize or portion of the prize with a prize of equal or greater value. All prizes are awarded as-is and no warranties or guarantees are implied or expressed. Sponsor is not liable for any lost, late, misdirected or stolen entries or inability to process entries, or any errors, injury, damage or negligence that may arise in connection with this Contest, including without limitation technical failures on any website or software, viruses, website disruptions, malfunctions or website down-time, human error, personal injury or property damage incurred by any Contest entrant. Sponsors are not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest. Use of any automated system including robotic or form filling software to enter or participate in this Contest is prohibited and will result in disqualification of all entries by anyone using such assistance. If a dispute arises regarding who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address provided at time of entry. Authorized account holder is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Chapters Indigo is a prize supplier for the Contest and is in no way responsible for the administration of the Contest and the selection of any winners and all such responsibility rests solely with the Sponsor.